It’s Valentine’s Day! As a hopeless romantic this is one of my favorite days of the year. My amazing husband made it one of the best weeks of the year by leaving little surprises and love notes around the house every day this past week. Can you say spoiled? Anyway, I wish you a wonderful day full of love with your sweetie or someone special in your life. So, as we celebrate – I found some Valentine’s Day fun facts.
Did you know?
- On average, 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold for Valentine's Day each year (equaling out to about $1 billion worth of chocolate).
- Approximately 110 million roses, mostly red, will be sold and delivered within the three-day Valentine's Day time period.
- To be awoken by a kiss on Valentine's Day is considered lucky.
- Women purchase 85% of all Valentines.
- Approximately 145 million valentines are sent in the U.S. each year according to estimates by the U.S. Greeting Card Association. That's second only to Christmas with 1.6 billion units, and is followed by Mother's Day with 133 million units.
- On Valentine's Day, the first guy's name you read in the paper or hear on the TV or radio will be the name of the man you will marry.
- The oldest surviving love poem till date is written in a clay tablet from the times of the Sumerians, inventors of writing, around 3500 B.C.
- Every Valentine's Day, the Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare's lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet.